Looking up for inspiration: How to make a rainbow candle
Looking to create something colourful and fun? See how easy it is to make your own rainbow candles at home with this quick guide! From tools to technique, we’ll make sure your final piece is picture perfect.
What you will need:
• 30cl glass
• Wick and wick stick um
• Wick centering tool
• Kerasoy container wax
• Chip or liquid dye in 5 colours
• Aluminium wax scoop
• Digital kitchen scales
• Digital LCD Thermometer
• Pouring jug
• Pan and glass bowl or double boiler
A 30 cl glass will hold around 220g of wax, split this between your 5 colours, that will be around 44 grams of wax per colour layer.
Steps to success:
1. Get yourself a 30 cl glass and ensure that it’s clean and dry before use
2. Add your wick to the bottom of the glass using a wick stick um to secure it in place
3. Using the double boiler method to melt your wax, fill your pan around halfway with boiling water and place on a hob or hotplate
4. Using your aluminium scoop and digital scales, weigh out 44 grams of wax and place into a glass bowl
5. Place your bowl of wax on top of your pan and add a thermometer to measure the temperature of the wax as it heats
6. Keep your pan on a medium to low heat and remember to not let your wax exceed 80°C
7. Once your wax is melted, add your chosen colour, you can use chip or liquid dye
8. Add a few droplets liquid dye or a small sprinkle of dye chips and mix gently until the colour has spread evenly, feel free to add more drops or chips if you want a stronger colour
9. Transfer your melted wax into your pouring jug
10. Slowly and gently pour your wax into your candle glass to create your first layer
11. Use a wick centering tool to secure the wick and ensure it is suspended tight and upright
12. Leave the candle to set for 1 – 2 hours before pouring in your next colour
13. Repeat for each colour until you reach 1cm from the top of your glass
14. Save any left-over wax to repeat your pour if you get sinkholes on your last layer
15. Let your candle set completely
16. Trim your wick to size
17. Test out your funky new candle!
Looking for a visual aid? Head on over to our YouTube Channel where you’ll find a range of step by step video tutorials on how to make a range of candles.
There you have it! Your very own rainbow candle that’s bound to catch customers eyes time after time. Visit the Supplies for Candles website where you’ll be able to find all the tools you need to create exciting outcomes like this one. Don’t forget to show us your amazing work by tagging us and using the hashtag #sfcfeatureme on Instagram.
Explore Our Articles
Expert Tips, Latest Trends & Exclusive Discounts
Sign up to our mailing list to ensure you don't miss out and get 10% off your first order in your welcome email!