CLP's and SDS

Can I blend fragrance oils?

Blending fragrances together is a great way to refine your smell palette. When it comes to blending fragrances however, there are a few things that you will need to keep in mind. Due to regulations, you have to ensure that you have a new SDS (safety data sheet) for your new fragrance blend, this new SDS will then allow you to create a new CLP label for your product. Read our blog about blending fragrances here to find out more.

What do I need to put on my label to legally sell my candles?

Under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005, it is required that all producers and distributors of any potentially dangerous product must be fully labelled with information and warnings relating to that product.  Our candle safety label contains all the relevant information and warnings your customers need to know about safely using your candles.

As well as a candle safety label your candles or melts must also be CLP compliant.

The CLP Regulation (for “Classification, Labelling and Packaging”) is a European Union regulation from 2008, which aligns the European Union system of classification, labelling and packaging of chemical substances and mixtures to the Globally Harmonised System (GHS).

CLP's are required by law when selling products with hazardous ingredients.

Read our CLP guide on Candle College here.

Which bases are hazardous?

Our waxes, Isopropyl Myristate Perfume/Room Spray Base and Plugin Diffuser Base are all non-hazardous and therefore do not require a CLP label.

Our Augeo Reed Diffuser Base is hazardous and is required on your CLP label, if using alongside a fragrance, you will need to create a combined CLP label.

What % CLP label should I use?

When creating a CLP label you must use the correct percentage. You can overestimate your fragrance load but you cannot underestimate it.

If you are creating a candle or wax melt we recommend to use around 6-10% fragrance oil, therefore, you will need to use our 10% CLP label as this covers everything under 10% you don't need a 6% CLP as the 10% still covers you.

If you are creating a reed diffuser, room spray or plugin we recommend to use around 15-25% fragrance oil, therefore, you will need to use our 25% CLP label as this covers everything under 25%, for example, you cannot use a 10% CLP label if your load is 15%, you must overestimate.

As our Augeo Reed Diffuser Base is hazardous, we have provided an SDS for 80% which you must use if selling.

Where should I place my CLP?

Your CLP should be visible, easy to read and in a horizontal position.

If you are unable to attach your CLP to your product due to its shape, you may attach it using a swing tag with the same rules applying.

Your CLP must be on your final product. If you are placing your product in a box etc your CLP must be on the product and not the box.